How to Make Fried Calzone
Fried calzone recipe with ham and mozzarella is the perfect pizza recipe to enjoy on a saturday night.
Watch video recipe:
Vincenzo’s Top Tip To Make Fried Calzone
Drizzle and sprinkle on top
If Desired: Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on the top and sprinkle dried herbs on it. You can also place a basil leaf on the side for presentation.
- Wooden board
- Paper towel
- Rolling pin
- 100 grams Vincenzo’s Plate Pizza and bread dough
- 2 slices Ham
- Buffalo mozzarella Fior di latte OR bocconcini - cut into cubes
- 3 Basil leaves
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Dried herbs
- To begin, you need to prepare my bread and pizza dough.
- Start by putting a small amount of flour on the board and spreading it out.
- Place the ball of dough in the centre and using the tips of your fingers, pass down and start opening it up into a circle. Turn it over and do it again making sure there is enough flour on both sides.
- Using the rolling pin rollover the dough one way and then the other.
- Add some flour on top and repeat.
- Don’t worry about making it too big, just a medium size and not too thin.
- Create a layered line of mozzarella right through the middle.
- Roll up the slice of ham and put it on top of the cheese. Add another piece rolled up too.
- Break up the basil leaves and place then on top of the ham keeping the filling away from the edges.
- Rollover one half of the dough over the top of the filling to meet the other side and press the edges together with the balls of your fingers.
- Pull at the edges of the dough to help them meet then turn it over and spread some flour on top
- Using a fork, press down around the edges of the calzone. Be careful not to make any holes but this will help it close so the oil doesn’t get inside when you fry it
- Turn it over and repeat.
- Put a fry pan on the stove and fill it ¾ with oil (Heat the oil so it is ready).
- Drop the Calzone into the hot oil and it should be bubble as it starts to cook.
- Use tongs to turn it over after 2 minutes.
- The Calzone will start to brown so you can tell, it is cooking and it always depends on temperature of oil.
- Using a utensil with holes in the bottom, lift at the Calzone and let the oil drain out. Place it onto paper towelling so it takes out more of the excess oil. Pat the top of the Calzone with the paper towel to get rid of oil from the top.
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate